Photos by Chris Wright
This year our Annual General Meeting is a Silent Drop-In Event that will take only about 10 minutes to do.
Drop-In Time is: Any time between 5:30 and 8:30 PM on Wednesday February 27th
Location: Upstairs in the Legacy Building beside Rotary Stadium Track
How it works:
1. “Sign In” all your family members (This shows how many people are involved in the club and affects the size of Grant the club is eligible for)
2. Get one Ballot per family which allows you to vote on each Motion for the AGM
3. Look at the displays about the club’s 2018 year. These displays will relate to the Motions on your Ballot.
4. If you wish, you may ask a question by writing it down on the Discussion Page at a particular display and the appropriate Board Member will write a response to your question. The questions and answers remain as a part of the display until the end of the AGM and will be used in writing the minutes of the meeting for submission to the BC Societies Office
5. Complete your Ballot by checking one box for each motion and by voting for candidates for the Board of Directors
6. Submit your Ballot (these will be counted later at the end of the AGM at 8:30PM) and your time at the Valley Royals Silent AGM is complete.
- Location: Banquet Hall of the Legacy Building beside the Track at Rotary Stadium
- Doors open at 5:30 PM Dinner starts at 6:00 PM
- Just $20/person for a delicious Catered Dinner Buffet & Make-Your-Own Ice Cream Sundae!
- All athletes who attend the Banquet will be featured and awarded for their athletic achievements in the 2018 Track & Field and Cross Country Seasons
- Back by popular demand: The Selfie Photo Booth!
- Tickets for the Burger & Beer Event coming up on Saturday, March 9th will be available for purchase at the Athletic Awards Banquet. See Post below from February 1st on this home page for more details…
- The club’s AGM will happen during the Banquet from 5:30 to 8:30 PM but it will be a “Silent AGM”—Displays will be on view at the Banquet and one ballot per family will be available for voting (more about this in the post below…)
- It is essential that as many club members as possible come to the Legacy Building between 5:30 and 8:30 PM on Wednesday, February 27th 2019 and Sign-In as attending the AGM. Please come even if you can only drop in for a few minutes and are not able to stay for the Banquet because our club’s grant funding depends on the number of athletes and parents who Sign In for the AGM.
- The club is having a “Silent AGM” this year so that we can run an AGM at the same time as the Athletic Banquet without disrupting the timing of the Banquet. Reports that have, in the past, been given verbally will instead be featured as Visual Displays.
- One ballot will be given per family so that the club membership can vote to approve items on the “Agenda”–which will be available for viewing in the form of visual displays—the ballot also gives the membership a chance vote for candidates for the Board of Directors.
- Each display will have an opportunity to ask questions in written form which will be answered in written form by the appropriate board member—these questions and answers will become part of the display until 8:30 PM at which time votes on the Ballots will be counted and Recorded and there will be a vote to adjourn the AGM by a show of hands of the members in the room at that time.
- Nominations are now open for people interested in serving on the Board of Directors. If you would like to be nominated or have someone you would like to nominate please email Monica at [email protected]
- On the day of the AGM, “Nominations from the Floor” for candidates to run for the Board will be accepted via email, or in person at the Legacy Building Upstairs Foyer, until the doors to the Legacy Banquet Hall open at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 at which time: Sign-Ins will begin, Ballots will be issued, Displays will be available for viewing and Voting will commence.
Invite your family and friends to our Burger and Beer Event on Saturday, March 9th. This Benefit* is in support of the Valley Royals Track and Field Club.
WHERE: Canadian Brewhouse (High Street)
WHEN: 6:00 pm start CANUCKS GAME WILL BE ON THE BIG SCREEN!
TICKETS: $25 per person. Kids welcome!
Tickets can be purchased at our AGM/Athletic Banquet or by e-transfer to Debbie Trustham at [email protected] (please put your name in the message; no security question required).
Please share with your friends, family and neighbours and INVITE THEM TO COME!
WIN PRIZES: We’ll have 50/50, raffle draws, and toonie toss.
Gift Cards, Gift Baskets or other desirable items are needed for Raffle Prizes so please help us by donating a prize or asking people you know who own businesses to contribute. To ask businesses to donate prizes to this event use this official letter from the club:
*Note: This is a “Benefit” being put on by one family in the club, so donations and ticket sales are not eligible for fundraising credits. All contributions are much appreciated and will go to help the club as a whole.
To get updates click “Going” or “Interested” on our Facebook Event Page at… https://www.facebook.com/events/322881788546253/
Wednesday practices for the Power & Speed Group are moving outdoors and will be at 6:30pm at Rotary. You should be finished by about 8pm. Coach Chantel will be working with the sprinters and her assistant will be working with the hurdlers.
Practice is on, rain or shine, so please dress accordingly
Wednesday, February 27th: Athletic Awards Banquet & Silent AGM at the Legacy Building beside the Track at Rotary Stadium. Athletes & their families are welcome to attend this special celebration
Saturday, March 9th: Pub Night Fundraising Event Starting at 6PM , Canadian Brewhouse & Grill at Highstreet. Giftbaskets, Gift Cards and Prizes are needed for the raffle. For more info see Event Page at… https://www.facebook.com/events/322881788546253/
Saturday, April 13th: 3rd Annual Valley Royals Vaisakhi Festival Track & Field Meet at Rotary Stadium. All club athletes invited to participate in Track & Field events. Lots of opportunities for athletes & their families to earn Volunteer Hours
Thanks to the writing talent, historical articles and photographs of club founder and former coach Gerry Swan, the Valley Royals Track & Field Club is pleased to present two new pages which document the club’s history and athletes of distinction.
Many thanks to Dawn Driver for scanning & uploading photos and creating the pages for the Website. Thanks also to James Porpaczy and Monica Carsience for assisting Dawn in this process.
You will find these new historical pages under “About Us” in the Main Menu under the titles: “Legacy of the Valley Royals” and “Athletes of Distinction”. These pages are a work in progress and we welcome more historical photographs and information about athletes who have achieved high levels in Track & Field while competing for the Valley Royals. If you have information or pictures about past athletes, please email Dawn Driver at [email protected]
To be eligible to train, you must be insured so be sure to complete your Membership Registration/Renewal for 2019. To Register go to: https://valleyroyals.ca/registration/ and click the Online Registration link
Throws Group resumes this Sunday, January 6th
at 2:00PM. Meet Coach Sean for a practice at the throws cage in Clearbrook Park
Power & Speed Group resumes on Monday, January 7th with a practice at the ARC at 4:00PM. Meet Coach Chantel upstairs at the end of the track where you do your stretching. The Royals welcome Chantel to our coaching staff (for more details see Post below)
Endurance Running Group resumes on Tuesday, January 8th at 4:15PM. Meet Coach Scott at the Club Shed for a practice at Rotary Stadium.
The Valley Royals Track & Field Club is pleased to announce that Chantel Desch will be leading our power/speed athletes for the duration of winter training. Chantel was trained by Coach Ziggy for 4 years, specializing in sprinting.
After graduating high school, Chantel attended Simon Fraser University and competed for their track and field team. At SFU she raced on several relay teams as well as the 400 and 200m events. During her last year at Simon Fraser, Chantel’s 4 X 100m team set a new PB breaking the school record.
Chantel graduated from SFU with a Bachelor’s degree in General Studies and her future plan is to become an elementary school teacher. Chantel is looking forward to working with all of the power/speed athletes. Practices will resume on Monday, January 7th, 4pm at ARC.