- Due to insurance rules, all athletes must have a paid club membership to join a Valley Royals Practice Group. Go to https://valleyroyals.ca/membership/ to select a membership package and register online at https://valleyroyalstrackandfield.com/registration
- New Athletes are welcome to contact our Club Administrator Christa McAuley at: [email protected] for more information about Practice Groups, Online Registration & Membership Packages
- To Register for Meets: Talk to your coach about events you should enter then contact Christa at: [email protected] with your events and PBs (Personal Best Time/Height/Distance) if you know them
WINTER TRAINING SEASON
ENDURANCE RUNNING GROUP (AGE 14 & Up: Midget, Youth, Junior, Senior athletes)
Head Coach: Coach Scott Svelander
Endurance Training (14 and up) is offered 3 days per week:
WINTER TRAINING RESUMES ON TUESDAY JANUARY 8th, 2019
Tuesdays 4:15 – 5:45 PM at Jane & Gerry Swan Track at Rotary Stadium: Meet at the Club Shed
Thursdays 4:15 – 5:45 PM Delair Park Rugby Pitch & Gravel Trail: Meet at Picnic Shelter near the playground in Delair Park (East Parking Lot off Old Yale Rd.)
Saturdays 10:00 – 11:30 AM at Clearbrook Park: Meet at main parking lot beside sign for Ron Wiebe Playing Fields
Bring bottle of water, hat, wear layers
POWER/SPEED GROUP (AGE 14 & Up: Midget, Youth, Junior, Senior athletes)
Power & Speed Group Practices are indoors for Winter Training at the ARC – Abbotsford Recreation Centre 2499 McMillan Rd. 2019
WINTER TRAINING RESUMES Monday January 7th at 4:00PM
THROWS GROUP (AGE 14 & Up: Midget, Youth, Junior, Senior athletes)
Coach Sean LaForest: After many years of outstanding coaching for the Valley Royals, Coach Harold Willers is retiring. Harold introduced Coach Sean LaForest as the new coach of the Royals Throws Program at the first practice of the Fall season. Coach Sean, a champion thrower for the Royals & UBC, was trained by Harold for 8 years and is an accomplished thrower and coach. He is Vice Principal of MEI Middle School where he serves as throws coach to the MEI Middle and Secondary School track & field teams.
WINTER TRAINING RESUMES Sunday January 6th 2019:
- Mondays – 4:15 PM Rotary Stadium
- Wednesdays – 4:15 PM Rotary Stadium
- Sundays – 2:00 PM Clearbrook Park
TRAINING SESSIONS WILL RUN 2 -3 HOURS, Practices will consist of conditioning & technical work
The Clearbrook Park Throws Cage is just north of the baseball diamonds in the main field. The Valley Royals Shed is located at the south end of track at Rotary Stadium.
Photos from the first Throws Practice of the Winter-Training Season, Oct 14th 2018, where Coach Harold announced his retirement and introduced Sean LaForest as Coach of the Valley Royals Throws Program. In addition to a great turnout of current athletes, former Royals athlete and four-time Canadian Hammer Champion–Wes Boudreau–came to the practice to congratulate Harold on over 30 years of coaching throws for the Valley Royals and to welcome Coach Sean.
POLE VAULT GROUP (AGE 14 & Up: Midget, Youth, Junior, Senior athletes)
Coach Graham Danziger
Practice Times Vary: It is very important that Coach Graham has your email address, as practice changes or adjustments will be confirmed by email. Typical practice times are listed below but can change from week to week due to weather conditions.
- Thursdays late afternoon with Coach Graham (Coach to Confirm practice time by email)
- Saturdays late morning Coach Graham (Coach to Confirm practice time by email)
Location: Rotary Stadium at the Pole Vault Shed beside the Legacy Building
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT TRACK & FIELD TRAINING GROUP (Ages 8 to 13) (March – July)
JD Track & Field Training Begins in late March and runs until the BC JD Track & Field Championships in late July
Events Offered: Middle Distance, Sprints, Hurdles, Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump, Shot Put, Discus, Race Walk, Hammer(age specific) Pole Vault (age specific), Cross Country
This age group encourages athletes to try all event areas (Racing, Jumps, Throws) in both practices and competitions.
JD Track & Field Coordinator: Scott Svelander
JD Coaches: Coach Alex Siemens
Coach Abresia Coach Hannah Coach Peter
Coach Ryan Coach Udesh Coach Vik
The focus for the JD athletes at meets should be on enjoying the experience and learning how to do their best in a variety of events and challenging themselves to improve their own mark. JD athletes are encouraged to participate in the Pentathlon Championships.
For Track Meet Info & Meet Protocol see: https://valleyroyals.ca/meets/
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT CROSS COUNTRY RUNNING GROUP (Ages 8 to 13) (Sept-Oct)
JD Cross Country Season Sept-Oct
Head Coach of Cross Country: Coach Scott Svelander
Assistant Coaches for JD Cross Country:
Coach Harneet Uppal Coach Parmvir Waring
Coach Andrew Ott Aneesha Narang
JD Cross Country Running is offered 3 days per week starting Thursday August 30th for the Cross Country Season (September & October):
Tuesdays 4:15 – 5:15 PM
Thursdays 4:15 – 5:15 PM
Saturdays 10:00 – 11:oo AM
- to start off the season, the JD’s will be training for one hour in duration and as the season progresses Coach Scott will decide if their practice duration will be lengthened.