A few days before the meet it is a good idea to check the “host” club’s website to corroborate what you believe to be true, if you spot an issue, let your coach know ASAP
Night before Meet:
- Pack a bag with EVERYTHING you may need
- list of entered events
- Valley Royal Singlet (Unless you are representing your school, always wear your VR Singlet to every Track & Field or Cross Country Meet. Make sure the Royals Logo shows by pinning your number on just underneath the logo)
- running shoes / spikes (extra laces, spikes)
- appropriate clothes to wear before/after event
- water bottle/appropriate food (not junk)
- sunscreen/hat/bandages/hair bands/safety pins/watch
- money (few dollars for emergencies)
- IF YOU THINK YOU MAY NEED IT THEN BRING IT !
Day of Meet:
- Arrive at LEAST one hour before scheduled time
- If a meet is running early events can be moved up by half an hour – they will not wait for you
- This allows time for proper warm-up so be sure to do one
- On arrival go to the registration tent to see if the Valley Royals Package has been picked-up
- If NOT, you can usually get your individual number if time is tight, otherwise wait there for the coach to arrive to pay and pick up the package
- If the package HAS been picked up you need to go to the Valley Royals meeting spot..look for the Valley Royals tent. The package should be there either with a coach, or parent. Get your number from the package, check over the registration list to confirm you are registered in the correct events, if you note a problem tell you coach ASAP
- The coach could be busy with other athletes, so it is your responsibility to do a proper warm-up
- Listen for announcements for your event
- Usually, athletes will be called to “Marshal” or “Sign-In”. Typically, this done at the starting point of your event. Often the Marshaling Area is under a tent–but not always. Sometimes the athletes are given chairs to sit on while they wait to be walked to the start line–or they may be standing in a line-up. Once you have been Checked-In at the Marshaling Area you can’t leave so be sure to have your bathroom break before you Check-In!
Parents and Spectators You are NOT allowed on the infield. Be aware that there are rules and expectations of how you will behave at the meet:
- You must watch/cheer from the sidelines for field events or the stands for track events
- If any help is required you will be asked
- Be positive, the coach will handle any critique that needs to be addressed
- The coach is the only one allowed to be doing any coaching
- Athletes can be DISQUALIFIED for receiving what’s considered unfair help from friends and family.
- If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask your coach.
- Enjoy your day and Have Fun !